The Houston area experiences a daily average of 75% humidity year round. Which means Houstonians often walk around with glowing skin and frizzy hair; but there is something else that consistently high humidity levels bring, and that is the likelihood of homeowners dealing with mold and mildew growth in their homes.
While we can’t help with frizzy hair, there are fantastic products designed specifically for HVAC performance in higher humidity environments. In this blog, we’ll take a look at the benefits of going blue with your HVAC ductwork in your home.
What are microbes and how do they affect your health?
Microbes are living microscopic organisms like bacteria, fungi and viruses. At any given time, you actually have trillions of living microbes on and in your body. Many are helpful and aid in food digestion and your immune system. But some are not helpful and may cause you to get sick.
- Bacteria are single cell organisms. Most bacteria are helpful to humans, aiding us to stay healthy, but some can cause infections or other illnesses, like Tuberculosis. A doctor can prescribe antibiotics that kill the bacteria. Well-known examples of bacteria include salmonella and staphylococcus bacteria.
- Fungi can be found almost anywhere. Well-known examples of fungi include mold, yeast, and mushrooms. Fungi are typically found in moist environments. Breathing in fungi spores like mold can be harmful, especially if a person is allergic or has a weakened immune system.
- Viruses are comprised of one or more molecules surrounded by a protein shell. The genetic information the virus needs to reproduce is located inside the protein shell. Well-known examples of viruses include Influenza (The Flu), AIDS, and the common cold. Antibiotics are not effective against viruses but medications can be used to help treat symptoms. Your body’s immune system ultimately has to fight off the virus.
How does moisture create microbe problems in your HVAC system?
What is blue duct work?
JPL AMBlue II is a high quality flexible duct that is specifically engineered to fight mold and provides real results. It is easily recognizable by its bright blue color.
Benefits of JPL AMBlue II
- Its distinctive inner core is treated with Agion® natural silver which resists microbial growth and reduces mold infestation on the surface of the inner core
- A unique blue reinforced vapor barrier surrounds the entire duct
- It is made with R8 insulation and near zero air leakage when properly installed for energy efficiency
Millions of feet of AMBlue II have been successfully installed without a single report of mold, fungi or mildew. AMBlue II is Greenguard Indoor Air Quality Certified as “Highly Mold Resistant.”
What else can improve my indoor air quality?
- Keep your HVAC system regularly maintained with spring and fall maintenance check-ups
- Replace your air filters at the first sign of inefficiency
- Install an indoor air quality filtration system
- Get your ducts cleaned
- Consider an antimicrobial fogging treatment