There are several reputable, honest HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) companies in and around the Houston area. When you’re seeking a heating and cooling company you can trust in Northwest Houston, what do you look for? Here are 6 qualities to look for in an HVAC company.
First impressions are important. If you’ve booked an HVAC service call, and a dirty, beater van pulls up in front of your home 20 minutes later than the scheduled time, that’s your first red flag. If the technician comes to your door wearing a raggy concert t-shirt and smelling of cigarette smoke (or worse), it’s probably time to cut your losses and send her or him back to the van. Country Air HVAC professionals are proud of their company and skills, and it shows.
When a service company supports its community, that’s a strong indicator of its commitment to taking responsibility for its quality of work. Community involvement tells you this company and its people will be there for you when you need them, because they care about customer service and your area’s quality of life.
3. Fair Prices
The best HVAC company is seldom the cheapest. But it doesn’t have to be the most expensive either. HVAC maintenance, repair, replacement, and installation prices have several variables, including the area in which you live. For example, Texans pay less than Californians or New Yorkers for HVAC services. What you need also impacts costs; furnace repairs are the cheapest, but air conditioning services are the most expensive.
4. Services/Repairs Ethics
Quite frankly, there are standard HVAC scams some companies use to generate more money. Some of them are:
- Bait & switch – The lowest price guaranteed offer for something you need may be an opportunity to sell services you don’t
- Cracked heat exchanger – This is a legitimate issue, but also a popular scam because it’s an expensive repair. Ask for proof and get a second opinion.
- Illegal R-22 – Unscrupulous technicians may tell conscientious homeowners R-22 refrigerant is illegal and you need to replace your HVAC system immediately. R-22 has been phased out and is sometimes difficult to find, but it isn’t “illegal.”
- Oversized HVAC – Bigger isn’t better, but some companies will push you to buy more than you need. You might try using a tons-to-BTUs online calculator. And before you buy, ask other local HVAC companies if the recommended unit size sounds right.
- Refrigerant – If you need refrigerant, you need repair. “Recharging” your refrigerant rather than repairing the leak can lead to more service calls.
- Replacing several parts – This could be legitimate, but you seldom need a lot of expensive replacement parts at the same time. Get a second opinion.
- Unclear charges – Your HVAC technician should be able to easily give you the price breakdowns. If the quoted charges are vague, get another opinion.
- Upfront payment – Reputable HVAC companies won’t ask for cash upfront before providing a service.
6. Tenured Employees
Some HVAC companies subcontract workers or hire part-time (“piecework”) employees. This saves them money, but it can be costly for customers. The quality of workmanship is likely to be substandard because the repair person may not have the right tools, training, certification, or even the proper insurance for the job. You want your property protected during an HVAC repair and you also want the worker protected if injured. Ask how long your HVAC specialist has been with the company and request proof of Texas licensing and NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certification.
Northwest Houston’s Best HVAC Company
If there’s nothing to back it up, when a company says it’s “the best,” that’s the worst. Country Air has every quality the best companies share:
- Caring employer
- Community commitment
- Competitive prices
- Ecologically conscious
- Goals beyond profit
- Servant-leadership company culture
…and we have reviews and recognitions that reinforce our claim. We’re the best Northwest Houston HVAC company because we’ll always put your needs ahead of our profit.
Country Air studies the latest HVAC technology, and we’re eager to share what we’ve learned. We want you to know about the best heating and cooling options so you can make informed decisions. We’re also local people; Texans, like you. We bring our old-fashioned values to today’s business operations. Country Air administrative and servicepeople strive to deliver the best workmanship and customer care.
Two of the frequently asked questions we receive about choosing an HVAC company include:
A: You can almost always depend on a company that’s a brand-name in your area, with many years – even generations – of professional HVAC service. But before you avoid a “new” company, read about its service team. The technicians could be bringing many years of industry-best workmanship to a relatively new organization.
A: Parts and labor should have defined timespans. Thirty-day labor guarantees and 1-year parts warranties are standard. You can tell by online reviews if your HVAC company cares about 100% customer satisfaction.